Re: Proposed Proposed Statement on e-mail encryption at the IETF

2015-06-02 20:22:22
On 03/06/2015 03:24, Måns Nilsson wrote:
/Måns, signing all outgoing e-mail. If e-mail from me is not signed,
 something is fishy.

In some contexts, that really matters. In the IETF where all discussion
is public and we don't count votes, it's the technical content of the
message that really matters. With all due respect, if a message
purporting to be from Måns Nilsson is technically correct but happens
to be forged, it doesn't really matter: it's the content that counts.

Of course that argument doesn't apply to forged consensus calls
that are not really from WG Chairs, or forged IESG Statements, etc. So
I'm not saying that signing is a bad thing (er, must look into
enigmail). Just that we should not let it blind us to what we are
doing here.

     Brian