Re: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

2015-06-03 12:16:17

On 6/3/2015 1:51 AM, Xiaoyin Liu wrote:
Actually the Wikimedia Foundation is considering forcing
HTTPS for every Wikipedia visitors, even if the censorship of Wikipedia
exists.[2]
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T49832#1240760

You're pointing to a discussion that hasn't reached resolution, not an
announced policy change.

There could be good reasons for users to want to use private access (to
hide what they're looking for or the response). But we shouldn't be
forcing that decision on users unless WE care about privacy from the
IETF-server side of things.

I haven't seen anyone make that case yet, and I would argue it's counter
to the notion of our NOTE WELL statement anyway.

Joe