Re: discussion style and respect

2015-06-12 05:51:49
On 6/11/2015 12:04 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
The IETF model of insisting that anyone can participate and that
everyone who does participate does so strictly as an individual
also avoids the advantages of enforceable rules, e.g., that one
either behaves like an adult professional or gets out (or
doesn't get in).

This is objectively wrong.

We have rules.  We have been known to enforce them.  The consequences
can (and have) include banishment.

That we do not have entrance qualifiers does not in any way relate to
whether we have suspension or termination rules, nevermind whether we
enforce them.

The core issues are that we do not adequately define unacceptable
behavior and we do essentially no enforcement, except in the most
extreme cases and for the most marginalized participant.

This effectively constitutes encouragement of recidivists.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking