Re: discussion style and respect

2015-06-12 08:18:46
On Jun 12, 2015, at 6:49 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
The core issues are that we do not adequately define unacceptable
behavior and we do essentially no enforcement, except in the most
extreme cases and for the most marginalized participant.

This is definitely /a/ core issue. However, the anti-reason tactics that people
have talked about previously are also an important and separate problem, which
can only be addressed by working group chairs who do a good job of calling
consensus. I mentioned appeals because we hardly ever get appeals that address
failures of this sort. Appeals of this sort are not a bad thing, and we need
more of them.  It should be embarrassing for us at the plenary if the IESG
reports that they got no appeals, rather then embarrassing for them if they
have to report that they got none, assuming there was something worth appealing
that trimester.