Re: Questions about the new IETF mail archive

2015-06-18 15:18:35
On 19/06/2015 07:36, Nico Williams wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 07:14:03PM -0000, John Levine wrote:

There's an export to mbox/maildir option!  Yes!  (I used to keep a
script to stream-edit the almost-mbox mailman archives into mbox
format.  It seems I've lost it.)

When reading through messages in a thread, there's no easy way I can
see to go to the previous or next message other than to click up and
down on the list of messages.  That's OK but you can't tell what
you've already read (the old version provided this sort of by accident
in browsers that change the color on links you've visited), [...]

The old-style mailman archive, the one with a link for each month (or
quarter), with by-thread and by-date views, is hard to beat.  Granted,
having a different archive by month (or quarter) was a bit of a PITA,

Not when looking for a particular thread of messages in early 2000,
as I was the other day. I couldn't find any way with the new one of
finding a date range many years ago (maybe I'm just stupid). It's a
bit fiddly with the old archive, but can be done.

Long live both archives.

    Brian

but not too bad.  Still, an mbox/maildir export feature... that makes up
for the UI faults (which hopefully will get fixed in due time).

Hmm, [spam] HTML e-mail gets rendered...  Is that a problem?  Probably.

But the most concerning is indexing, or lack thereof.  [...]

+1