Re: Randomness sources for the IETF 2015-2016 Nomcom Selection

2015-06-22 20:36:18

On 6/22/2015 6:12 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
At 5:23 PM -0700 6/22/15, Joe Touch wrote:

 The push back I've seen so far indicates to me that there are clear
 political motivations for using the US Debt numbers instead. So be it.

 I'll be glad to pick equally offensive values for entropy in the next
 specs I author.

I just happened to see this thread, and this response makes me very
curious.  Quite likely I'm naive or ignorant, so this may be very
obvious, but I can't see what political statement is being made, or how
the sources are offensive.  Obviously, the debt and budget of any nation
is a political topic, but I can't see what statement is being made by
using it as a source of digits, or who is being offended and why.

If you don't feel it's an issue, then let's use the debt of another
group - e.g., the EU, and we're done.

If you think that's not appropriate to use the EU instead of the US,
then that's why we shouldn't use the US.

Joe