Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-25 00:01:39
On 25 Jul 2015, at 3:15, John R Levine wrote:

That's just how the ICANN new TLD program worked.  There was a deadline by
which all the applications had to be in, 1900 of them last time, and then a
sequence of deadlines for the various groups doing the various evaluations.
I was on one of the technical panels, and there were applications that we
failed, and had to be corrected.  Some of the isues were unexpected, e.g. the
string similarity between .unicorn and .unicom, eventually resolved by
.unicorn withdrawing.

First of all the process had a list of strings that one could not apply for. So
first question is how IETF do believe that list is to be created. By IETF? By
ICANN? In cooperation?

Secondly, we have what you talk about, various steps where different
communities had the ability to send in input and reactions on the specific
names.

I think personally IETF should help creating the initial black list. Before
applicants do send in the strings they want.

   Patrik