Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-25 19:10:04
On Jul 25, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Christian Huitema
<huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:
We should note however that there is no technical requirement that special
purpose domains be top level domains. When we developed the peer-to-peer
naming system PNRP, we simply registered "PNRP.NET <http://pnrp.net/>," and
rooted the peer names there. That meets the "registration" requirement, but
it does not meet the kind of special purpose processing that ".local" or
".onion" require, when security dictates that the special names must not me
resolved by the DNS.

This has been discussed earlier in the conversation.   This is probably a valid
solution in some cases, but the length and understandability of the name does
matter in some cases, so if we were to implement this as a solution for all
problems of this type, it would likely not be found satisfying in all cases.
Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it, but it doesn’t really solve the problem.
E.g., “.home.blort” is clearly worse than “.home”, because it’s more typing,
and the token of meaning isn’t on the end.