Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-26 14:57:04
Patrik,

On 27/07/2015 06:23, Patrik Fältström wrote:
Now, I agree ICP-1 is not very good, but I am still of the view that IETF
could very well update RFC 1591 according to what the IETF view has changed
during the years. If nothing else as a historical document, and it would also
have made the handoff to the ICANN be much easier than what it has been now.

RFC 1591 is not an IETF document. It was written by IANA and published
by the RFC Editor, which at that time involved a very short walk indeed*.
I don't quite see how the IETF could claim to update it unilaterally.

*There may have been some discussion between IANA and the IAB, but
that was just before I joined the IAB, so I don't know.

    Brian