Re: Pink Squares

2015-07-26 17:07:51

On 2015-07-26 9:11 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

Sigh.  I don't know how many of those suggesting things like
"zoom out" have actually been participating remotely of late,
but I complained to the Meetecho folks at the beginning of the
week that the images coming from the cameras were too small,
even on a screen much too large to carry around, to be of any

Well, I have done two IETFs remotely over the past two years (London and Dallas). I will admit, it was difficult. However, I don't know if I agree that it was the technology and/or the zooming which was the biggest issue.

I think we can defiantly improve on how we manage our tech for the IETF (for remote folks), but I think the biggest inhibitors are behavioral ones (vs. tech).

Personally, I would be ok with a "zoomed out" camera, as I think reading the room and getting a feel for what's going on is more important then seeing a given presenters face (plus, if we have concerns with a presenters face, can't we just get profile picks put on the deck / agenda?). I would like to see how is coming up to the mic just as much as I would looking at someone boxed in at a mic.

I would prefer we improve how we allow remote folks to comment and interact. People in the room have a strong advantage when it comes to getting to a mic, and re-inserting themselves if rebutting a comment etc. I think it's here were the remote folks lack the most participation.

Oh and yes, all the hallway and beer conversations are sadly missed.

regards,

Victor K