Re: Single virtual queue (was Re: Pink Squares)

2015-07-27 04:17:22
100% agreed!

Simon

On 27/lug/2015, at 10:56, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 7/27/2015 10:46 AM, Simon Pietro Romano wrote:
As I know you know quite well, this can be achieved in a number of ways.
We proposed RFID some time ago. We have then moved to alternatives like
barcode scanners close to the mics and/or the very simple web interface
you find in the page I mentioned.

And as I know you know... I would like us (all) to simply use the web
interface.

The other technologies are fun and clever but have significant usability
issues, operational issues, and possibly privacy issues. At a minimum,
they require specialized infrastructure. I also believe that the
distance between their current usability and their being comfortable for
production use in the IETF is quite far.

The web interface has drawbacks too, but it is likely to be trivial for
most of us, most of the time, given that we all heavily use web
interfaces and nearly all of us have easy online access in meetings.[*]

For those other times, we can provide a few different hacks, such as
asking a neighbor to enter our name, or maybe even to having a public
terminal near a microphone, for entering names.

d/

[*] Beyond the question of how a name is entered into the queue is the
question of how the queue is publicly displayed.  We will probably find
that rather than showing the names of everyone in the queue, we should
show only current name, next name, and a count of the queue size.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking

                                                               _\\|//_
                                                              ( O-O )
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                Simon Pietro Romano
                                         Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                                     Computer Engineering Department
                     Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7683816
                                           e-mail: spromano(_at_)unina(_dot_)it

                    <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli
                    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                                                     oooO
                                                                       (_/

----
5x1000 AI GIOVANI RICERCATORI