Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-18 03:47:15
I oppose recognising RFC1984 as a BCP on two grounds.

First, most people outside the IETF do not understand the difference
between the various categories of IETF documents (as I am reminded of
when I see well known manufacturers talk of their conformance to an
I-D).  Yes, there are corners of the world, important corners, that do
understand but most do not so unless this reclassification has a
specific and limited audience in mind, then it is a pointless exercise
in inward-looking politics.

Second, the document itself is dated.
"As more and more companies connect to the Internet,  .. " was a good
idea in 1995 - now it just looks silly.  Likewise,
"The Internet is becoming the predominant vehicle for electronic
   commerce and information exchange. "
Most people outside those in the industry do not understand how a mobile
does what it does, they just know that it is how they do it.  For them,
as for most people, the mobile phone/cell phone/ NYOP/..  is the
predominant vehicle and they are unaware of what role, if any, the
Internet plays therein.

The language is not wrong, just quaint, dated, an interesting slice of
history.

If we want a BCP, we should write one.

Tom Petch