Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-13 17:17:56
On 13/08/2015 18:59, Eliot Lear wrote:
Hi,

As I wrote, I have no problem with 1984 going to BCP, but this line of
logic is what most concerns me:

On 8/13/15 7:54 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
RFC 1984 points out one way in which such systems are ineffective:
multiple encryption.
That is the same as saying that people can evade telephone taps by using
encryptors at either end.  And yet the vast majority do not.  This is
why a dialog with law enforcement should happen.  The 1990s were a time
of Operation Sun Devil and when people inside Law Enforcement didn't
know how to tie their shoes with regard to the Internet.  Things are
different now.  That dialog is really important.

Eliot

I agree. This is an area that we are not well qualified to understand and
we need to have the conversation.

One of the challenges that the IETF has is to remain the technical design
authority for the Internet, and failure to engage with important stakeholders
diminishes that our credibility in that role.

- Stewart