Re: The New RFC Editor Website

2015-10-14 09:48:12
The RFC Editor website currently provides URLs to a TXT (normative)
and PDF (non-normative) variant to an RFC, but no link to the
HTML-ized rfcmarkup version of the document on the tools.ietf.org
website, and neither a link to the datatracker about the document.

Personally, I'm using URLs to the tools-variant of RFCs and I-Ds
when quoting stuff in discussions, because one can use anchor tags
on the HTML-ized (rfcmarkup) versions of the document (by section/appendix
or by page) if the document isn't too old.

e.g.
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5681

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5681

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5681/

I just noticed that the rfcmarkup page of rfc5681 does not link to
the datatracker.  I need to first navigate to the rfcmarkup of the
final I-D (draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc2581bis) in order to obtain a [Tracker]
URL at the top.

Curiously, the datatracker links to tools.ietf.org only for the html
version of the document, and to www.rfc-editor.org for the plain text
and pdf versions, whereas the tools rfcmarkup header links [txt|pdf]
locally on the tools server.

-Martin