Re: Google threatens to break Gmail

2015-10-25 17:09:44
On 26/10/2015 09:41, Philip Homburg wrote:
In your letter dated 25 Oct 2015 20:24:55 -0000 you wrote:
No idea how flexible mailman is, but how hard would it be to write some
code that ...

Instead of guessing, five seconds of googlage found this informative page:

http://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC

I guess this is a complex way of saying, no mailman doesn't do that?

Re your suggestion, how many subscribers to IETF lists currently use
gmail?

Only a kind person at the Secretariat could answer that definitively.
Based on a couple of lists I happen to administer, I estimate that
it's 15 to 20%.

Based on recent editions of the Narten posting summary, a similar
fraction of the traffic on this list is from gmail addresses.

What would happen if they were all summarily ejected?

In fact, today's problem (from my observations) is the small proportion
of IETF folk who post from yahoo.com addresses. Their traffic is simply
lost as far as any dmarc-obeying receiver is concerned.

Gmail won't be a problem until June 2016, as indicated in the story that
prompted this thread.

My proposal was not to eject them but to mark them as second class citizens.

Indeed. And if it came to that, speaking for myself, I would switch to an
address
not contaminated by dmarc p=reject, unless a good solution for mailing
lists was found first.

   Brian

People who use unresponsive big e-mail providers off load a lot of problems
to the community.

Using a constant from should be a good incentive to look for alternatives
but does not provent people from contributing.