Re: Looking for Area Directors Under Lampposts

2015-11-16 11:19:38
Scott,

Thanks.

You have summarized the reasons why I get the creeps each time a
suggestion is made that we lower the expectations for
area-specific technical skill in the AD job, turn the AD role
into one of process management and checking, or give WGs final
authority over standardizing decisions (all of which, at least
on this dimension, amount to the same thing).  However, while
performing or ensuring cross-area review is the most important
aspect of the IETF's almost-unique approach, a strong and
technical AD review role also provides some protection against a
WG that becomes dominated by a narrow set of organizations or
interests and that therefore produces results that are favorable
to those interests rather than the Internet more broadly.
Standards bodies that do not have technical review beyond the WG
(or equivalent) that develops the proposal typically deal with
that issue by scrutinizing WG membership and insisting on
various statistical measures of balance.  No one has figured out
how to make that work (insofar as it works at all) without
organizational, rather than, individual membership and
participation, so the implications are fairly wide-ranging.

best,
   john

--On Sunday, November 15, 2015 15:10 -0500 "Scott O. Bradner"