Re: Introducing : Brand-new Internet Protocol "Five Fields"

2015-12-14 04:05:55
On 12/14/2015 04:57 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 06:10,  <lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
wrote:

Hey,

Going to 50-bit addresses with ten bits per field?
That makes no sense from a computing efficiency
viewpoint, as those are not powers of 2.

Can you explain which operation becomes significantly more costly,
which you'd use here?

I keep hearing this power of two argument, bit I'm finding hard time
imagining efficient parser or lookup implementation which cares about
it.

It strikes me that trisate gates are the future, when you think about it.

http://www.dauniv.ac.in/downloads/Digitalsystems_PPTs/DigDesignCh08L03.pdf

I'll have to work that math to see if 320 works in tristate. No, it doesn't but 324 works nicely, based on 4 bit nibbles. In both cases, existing hardware can be used.

--
... ^,^ best regards, robert