RE: Gen-Art LC review: draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-06

2015-12-16 18:58:45
Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Robert.  Replies are inline below...

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Sparks [mailto:rjsparks(_at_)nostrum(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 5:12 PM
To: Mike Jones <Michael(_dot_)Jones(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>; General Area
Review Team
<gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
jose(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-
input-options(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Gen-Art LC review: draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-06

Mike -

No, this still doesn't explain why crit is not sufficient.

I'll plan on adding something along these lines to the draft to explain this:

"Implementations receiving JWSs using "b64" with a value of "false" will not be
able to successful use those JWSs unless they support this extension, since
they will be unable to obtain the payload value.  If the JWS includes the
"crit" Header Parameter with "b64" in the set of values, this will ensure that
implementations not supporting this extension will reject the JWS, but
including "crit" is insufficient to enable the receiving implementation to use
the JWS; that requires supporting this extension."

You are making a bare assertion that using crit doesn't achieve a). I think it
does. Please explain (in the draft) why it doesn't.

You are making me guess, but I think you are only trying to avoid having to
include the few extra bits in the message. If you've _done_ the work of
ensuring all the applications understand using b64 through some out-of-
band magic, then including crit will just work. Are you pushing back on
anything _but_ the packet-bloat in this case?

If you _haven't_ done this out-of-band work, and you send to a receiver that
understands the extension, then a) is achieved. If you send to a receiver that
doesn't understand, things _should_ fail - arguably this also achieving a),
though I suspect you are wincing at perhaps not having a clear path to
recovery in this case?

I really think this boils down to you not wanting to pay the extra few bits in
the packet to say "crit".
if that's not the case, please explain (and again, this needs to be in the
draft,
not just an email thread).

Yes, size matters, but that's not the primary thing that's in play here.  For
the extension to be useful, all parties using the JWS must implement the
extension, as explained in the new proposed text above.  And once the JWT with
the extension is understood, "crit" adds nothing, because it's redundant.
That's why the draft doesn't require it.

But based on your comments and those of other reviewers, since there seems to
be demand for it, I plan to add the following text, which I think gets at the
heart of the issue you're discussing:

"Using "crit" with "b64"

If a JWS using "b64" with a value of "false" might be processed by
implementations not implementing this extension, then the "crit" Header
Parameter MUST be included with "b64" in its set of values to cause such
implementations to reject the JWS.  Conversely, if used in environments in
which all participants implement this extension, then "crit" need not be
included, since its inclusion would have no effect, other than increasing the
JWS size and processing costs."

RjS

                                Thanks again, Robert,
                                -- Mike