Re: [discuss] Questions

2016-01-04 13:15:55
On 1/4/16 11:01 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Bill Woodcock <woody(_at_)pch(_dot_)net> wrote:
    > Oh, and serial ports.  Those started out as DB-25, then DB-9, then
    > RJ-45, and now mini-USB, emulating serial ports.  People briefly tried
    > bluetooth emulating serial ports, but there were too many ways for that
    > to go wrong.

I learnt recently that the telco's have a term I'd never heard of before to
describe those serial ports: "craft terminals".

sometimes 'craft interface' ... Juniper I think even describes their
serialport/front-panel-blinkies in this manner.

A craft interface is a directly attached monitoring interface in a CO.
it could character based or it could be open/closed.

-chris