Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-22 11:51:15
On 22 Jan 2016, at 17:17, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

And that would have been a perfectly reasonable approach if it had
been made instead of SRV.

Yes, but SRV is as we all know much older.

Or the IETF had published the RFC in 2005
rather than 2015.

Well, the DNS RR Type was approved many many many years earlier.

We also did that as a test, and as you here also imply, people do not
understand RRTypes registered according to the process. In reality an RFC is
needed.

Unfortunately, virtually every registrar supports SRV now but support
for URI is nowhere near as common. To use URI with my provider, I have
to run my own DNS.

Or use a DNS provider that do support "unknown" RR Types.

The other problem is that URI supplements rather than replaces SRV.

Correct.

And discovery is much cleaner if there is one mechanism regardless of
the service in question rather than having to know the mechanism for
the particular service.

As Joe T. pointed out, there are also some services that have prefixed
TXT records used in the discovery process and some that don't as well.

Yes, but that is even worse, I think, as you know.

   Patrik