Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-22 08:59:18
On 2016-01-22, at 10:42, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 1/22/16 10:08 AM, Eggert, Lars wrote:
Right. Or the ability to run multiple web servers on different ports
in a way that results in a priori known URLs, such as result from
assigning unique ports and then including them in the URLs. (That is
why I earlier in the thread proposed to start allowing service names
in addition to ports in URLs.)

But .well-known could easily provide, if nothing else, a redirect to
such services.

If whoever wants to deploy this other service has the ability to change the
configuration of the server running on 80/443, to add that redirect. For the
IANA assignment requests we see, they usually don't. (Fragile or impossible due
to permissions to have one software install change the configuration of
another.)

Allowing a service name in the URL that is looked up with DNS-SD

Lars