Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-20 12:50:33

On 1/20/2016 5:47 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Having been involved in the creation of a few registries, I think that
the designation of the registry should be determined by the Internet
architecture rather than the personal taste of the people who wrote
the specs.

The specs are the result of either individual contributions or IETF
process. In the former case, who else should be involved? In the latter
case, the entire community is already involved in the review of the
proposed registry management procedures.

This sounds like the result of a problem with a particular registry and
its particular oversight. I don't see a good reason to upend all of
registry processes to address this corner case. That's what we already
have the appeals process for.

Joe