Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-19 07:48:02
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Joe Hildebrand <hildjj(_at_)cursive(_dot_)net>
wrote:

One approach would be to register "/.well-known/_srv/" using a specification,
then
have that spec allow anyone with an SRV registration to use (for example)
"/.well-known/_srv/_tcp/_mmm" without further registration.  Note: this is just
a strawman syntax; there's a nice bikeshed available about how many
underscores to use.

Well I like that better than phb_protocol that someone suggested.
Tying this back to SRV
makes sense. The _tcp part is unnecessary though since this is always
going to be
over http.

On the underscores thing, I think there is a very good argument for
dispensing with
them when used outside DNS. The folk with GUI type interfaces to SRV records put
them in automatically. Particularly if people are serious about the
use of the service
identifier in URIs.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Eggert, Lars <lars(_at_)netapp(_dot_)com>