Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-19 18:21:52
The delays I have incurred in getting code points assigned have not
been due to issues with the request. They have been caused by the DE
not responding. Or responding that they plan to get to the request. Or
approving the request and then not acting on it. Then when reminded,
starting the whole thing again.

Having specific deadlines is probably a good way of persuading people
who have taken on rather too many responsibilities that being the DE
on a registry should not be one of them or if it is that it needs the
same attention as the ones that do come with tight deadlines.

Indeed, though we do need to remember that we're all volunteers here,
and we do what we can.  Delays on handling some things (let's say, the
final editing of 5226bis, for example) shouldn't directly be grounds
for action.  Consistent patterns of delays, or delays that appear to
be targeted and/or purposeful, should definitely be brought to an AD's
attention for investigation and appropriate action.

Barry