Re: Should I make and donate a patent to Open Invention Network?

2016-01-25 09:25:20
Patent if you have commercial interests. Usually if you build a product or
want to make money from sueing others whom you expect to build something
similar in the future. Or sell your patent to someone who will.

Otherwise: Do not simply "not patent", but "publish" your ideas to create
prior art that makes it more difficult for others to later patent the same
idea. There are even dedicated sites purely for that purpose.

When you do so, include all possible and impossible names under which someone
might look for the idea. And all (im)possible option and variations of your
idea. Makes it a lot easier to find it and use it to fight later patents.

Btw: In Europe you can fight in the courts released patents anonymously. That
makes
it a lot more attractive for competing companies to fight out patent problems
there.
I guess they had to do some job creation program for lawyers given the lead the
US
has in the litigation market.

Cheers
    Toerless