Re: AirBnB, was Re: Hotel situation

2016-01-29 13:56:16

On 1/29/16 1:12 PM, John Levine wrote:
While YMMV I and my colleagues have had some success with this for business
travel. Of course it
means walking to the venue (or a taxi) but then I think that is a chance to
enjoy the local culture
and see how people in another country live.
If the location is good it can work great.  At the Paris IETF I found
an airbnb apartment a block from the venue, with the benefit of having
no staff to rifle through my valuables.

In B.A. I expect most of the airbnb's will be a long way from the
Hilton so check the location carefully.  Taxis are quite cheap, but
the time can be significant.

I won't be going to IETF, but for what it's worth, I've had very good luck with AirBnB for both personal and business travel, in locations ranging from DC (a block from the War College), to NYC, to several cities in Italy. Coupled with Lyft, Uber, and public transit, it's a great alternative to standard hotel rooms.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra