IETF Culture was: Re: draft-klensin-iaoc-member-01 (was: Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt)

2016-02-18 14:17:33
On 2/18/2016 2:50 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
My experience of the IETF suggests that we are better off with more
social conventions and fewer formal rules
yessssssssssss!

lawyer envy wraps us around so many axles, this being a case in point.

randy

I'm going to go off on a tangent. This is only peripherally related to the other topic.

One of the other things that comes up with the IETF from time to time is how to make the IETF more open and welcoming to newcomers. The IETF has a *lot* of unwritten rules - perhaps more than most organizations. *IMHO*, that may make it more difficult for newcomers to figure out how things work and where they can push or pull to effect change - there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that this may be the case. I would also tend to believe that written rules with plain meanings (that are mostly followed) tend to level the playing field for those just joining.

(A quick google search - "written vs unwritten rules newcomers" finds http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/battah-workplace-rules-1.3274856 for example - there are a lot of others in this space)

So I'm not so sure that the above is a universal truth. Both you and Andrew (and me FWIW) are long term participants and tend to know where the levers are. I wonder if those just joining us would agree?

[Please think about the above and wait at least a few hours (ideally a day) before writing any reply. Right now the above is a point for thought first, discussion later - thanks]

Later, Mike