Re: draft-klensin-iaoc-member-01 (was: Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt)

2016-02-17 20:54:35
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 09:53:22PM -0500, Michael StJohns wrote:
The term lengths for the IAB and IESG would be variable to allow different
"entering classes" to serve on the IAOC. A member would expected to serve at
least two years and would be automatically reappointed to the IAOC for an
additional year if they are re-upped to the IAB or IESG  and have served
less than two years.

I have nothing to say about the IESG case here, but why this rule for
the IAB?  This is a new invention, because the IAB chair's _ex
officio_ position on the IAOC comes by virtue of being IAB chair, and
that appointment is for no more than one year-cycle (i.e. Spring
meeting to Spring meeting -- this year it'll turn out slightly longer
than one year).  For all I know, the IAB will replace me in April with
someone else.  (Indeed, some days I think that, were they sane, they'd
replace me that afternoon!  That'd be less than a year.)

replacements.  But, if you change the model, then you have to figure out how
to give the IAOC *at least* the same level of stability that it currently
has in membership terms.

But you're making it greater than it is now.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com