Re: Remote Hubs

2016-03-10 08:16:23

Stephen, thanks so much for your comments.

I think we should encourage particularly
the organic kind of remote hub (a la Christian's draft). I'm
less sure of the benefits of trying for sponsored larger things,
as would seem to be implied by the iicb.org site. (Was that done
for IETF94 too or just 93?)

I believe it was done for IETF94 also.  Am copying Vinayak & Anand - maybe they
can comment for India.

One of the reasons we wanted to document is that it can serve (possibly) as a
guide for others.  People can choose what seems to be right for them.  (Or of
course, innovate.)

I believe the Philippines region is trying something similar to India.   I also
think that we should also be thinking of regional / remote mentors for these
type of hubs.   We already have regional mentor coordinators for India, China,
and Latin America.

Frankly, I am disappointed that we do not have remote hubs in the US and
Europe.   Anyone interested in volunteering to help with this?  Would be so
great to have hubs in Silicon Valley, Boston, Dublin or London (just for
starters!).   Many fine universities and companies in so many locations who
could host & we could get a lot of new blood.

1. Christian's draft says:

"  3. Notify the IETF about your remote hub if you want it included in
the public remote IETF WG Hubs list"

I wasn't aware that there's such a list. Seems like a fine thing
but even better if the WG chairs are told about it, say on the
Sunday of IETF week. I think the people in the room would be
interested to know that there are semi-organised sets of folks
remotely participating from places X, Y and Z. (I've no idea
what one might do with that information, but people often figure
out stuff if we let 'em know what's up:-)

There used to be a place holder for remote hubs on the main IETF95 page:
http://www.ietf.org/meeting/95/index.html
But, it seems to have disappeared.

I, too, believe that it is very important that people know what hubs are
possible to go to.  Am trying to work with the regions to get them to give me a
list.   Again, volunteer to coordinate this is well appreciated.  (I actually
have to work on my day job once in a while!)

We could also do a SurveyMonkey form (as we do for Mentors & Mentees) for
people to describe their hub & then post it.  That is very easy to do.

I also think that we should have information from these I-Ds (and others as
they come along) available on a web page on the IETF site so that people who in
the future want to do remote hubs can more easily see what others have done.
Again, would appreciate pressure from others to help achieve this.  If the
community agrees.

2. If people want to use the IETF logo to advertise that you can
turn up somewhere and participate remotely in a session, and if
nobody's trying to make money from the punters, I think we should
allow and encourage such uses of the logo. I'd be happy to help
annoy the trust to try get 'em to write down what's ok there, if
that's not already being worked on by someone. (Or to encourage
people to just use the logo like that and ask for forgiveness
later:-)

Stephen, it would be wonderful if you can ask the trust.