Re: Fuzzy words [was Uppercase question for RFC2119 words]

2016-03-28 15:30:58
Brian, I think your note goes to how important it is to write clearly
and to get a lot of eyes on it before we publish it.  Well-written
documents, with or without 2119 key words, and with or without
lower-case look-alikes, can still be clear.  Fuzzily written documents
will be fuzzy.

In particular:

they mean? It can be very unclear. If a node receives a message containing
an element covered in the spec by "allowed" instead of "OPTIONAL", is the
receiver supposed to interoperate or to reject the message?

Well, this is where 2119 advises that we *use* the key words when
interoperability is at stake.  It's fine to be fuzzy when it doesn't
matter, though even then, I'd argue for more explanation:

   Every frobotz MUST contain a valid bleeg.  The glorp field in the
   frobotz is an unsigned integer that is normally between 0 and 666,
   inclusive.  Values greater than 666 are allowed, but recipients
   using older software might not be able to handle such values.
   When processing a frobotz that does not meet the requirements in
   section 3.1.4, it is permissible to reject the frobotz outright, or to
   attempt to process the parts of it that make sense; the choice is
   an implementation decision.  However, any frobotz that does not
   contain a valid bleeg MUST be rejected.

That sort of thing.

Barry

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Brian E Carpenter