Re: Uppercase question for RFC2119 words

2016-03-28 18:02:53
On 28 March 2016 at 23:04, David Farmer <farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
wrote:

- Normative text doesn't require the use of these key words.  They're
used for clarity and consistency when you want that, but lots of
normative text doesn't need to use them, and doesn't use them.

So you're saying that normative text MAY use key words?  Or it SHOULD
use key words?

Signed,
Confused

Personally, I believe normative text SHOULD use the capitalized keywords.

Your opinion

  However, I'm worried we only really have consensus for MAY.

Many others' opinion.

if (SHOULD) {

Additionally, It would also be useful to provide a recommendation regarding
advancing specification to Internet Standard (RFC6410), is adherence to
RFC2119 an important issue in that regard?

No

  And, are capitalized keywords more or less important than the overall
stability of the text in that process.

Less

Put more directly, should specifications be updated with capitalized
keywords as part of that process?

No

  Or, is it more important to keep the text the same?

Yes

} else {

Additionally, It would also be useful to provide a recommendation regarding
advancing specification to Internet Standard (RFC6410), is adherence to
RFC2119 an important issue in that regard?

No

  And, are capitalized keywords more or less important than the overall
stability of the text in that process.

Less

Put more directly, should specifications be updated with capitalized
keywords as part of that process?

No

  Or, is it more important to keep the text the same?

Yes

... I think clearly stating the consensus is only MAY would be helpful and
might short circuit some unnecessary [discussion].

Irrelevant

}

As the man said, natural language usage MAY be used, even others think it
SHOULD NOT.