Re: I-D Action: draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt

2016-03-30 16:05:13
Hi Scott, please provide a cite to the case interpreting that phrase-depending
on the context and court, this may not be as significant an issue.   Your
second point about what someone "should" know is the concern.   If a Company X
engineer is a co-author with 3 others on a number of drafts, and it is in one
of a number of WGs that are overseen by a Company X AD, and this draft is
overlooked by the Company X AD, "should" that Company X AD nevertheless have to
redouble their efforts, ensure that they are aware of all the Company X drafts
of all the workgroups under their area, then at least cursorily canvas the
Company X IP portfolio? My experience is that a hostile trial lawyer will argue
that the AD "should" have performed this at least cursory analysis. In fact, a
trial lawyer will go further and torch an AD for not doing much, much more.
All because of the word "should".  Let's stay away from what someone "should"
know and stick with what they do know.

Best, Mike

On Mar 30, 2016, at 1:32 PM, Scott O. Bradner <sob(_at_)sobco(_dot_)com>