Re: Remote participants, registration, and mailing lists -- unintended consequences

2016-04-03 11:57:15
On 4/3/2016 8:29 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
So, for the future, if we are really going to do this remote
participant registration thing, it would be nice if someone
would really take responsibility for thinking through all of the
implications and take action on them.

The complexities and subtleties of this task are significant.

I suggest creating a wiki page for collaboratively developing a list og issues, requirements, preferences, fears, etc. We can add to it (or delete from it) as we gain experience. This will be a long process. Eventually the page might get relatively stable, but I suspect only relatively.

An obscure example of the challenge: Being able to see the posters that are put up for viewing during the social, since remote attendees aren't at the social. But the posters are worth reviewing.

The rather daunting meta-issue is learning to think and plan for IETF Meeting details much as the universal access folks have had to train architects to think: At every decision-point, think about the decision in terms of remote attendees and make explicit functionality and usability decisions about them. (Obviously deciding not to accommodate remote attendees can be an entirely justifiable choice, depending on the topic.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking