RE: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rtcweb-qos-15.txt> (DSCP and other packet markings for WebRTC QoS) to Proposed Standard

2016-04-03 16:38:31
I see a couple of Magnus's points that appear to need additional text
in the draft:

[1] Flow Type in application-facing browser API:

o Flow Type: The browser provides this input as it knows if
the flow is audio, interactive video with or without audio,
non-interactive video with or without audio, or data.

[... snip ...]

The main issue here is that to me it was not clear that "Interactive
Video with or without audio" allows for setting these DSCP values also
for the RTP stream containing audio also. This, I do see a need for
clarification on.

Propose an additional sentence:
OLD
   o  Flow Type: The browser provides this input as it knows if the flow
      is audio, interactive video with or without audio, non-interactive
      video with or without audio, or data.
NEW
   o  Flow Type: The browser provides this input as it knows if the flow
      is audio, interactive video with or without audio, non-interactive
      video with or without audio, or data.  For audio that is associated
      with a video flow, the flow type of the associated video MAY
      be used instead of the associated audio type.

I hesitate to say anything stronger than "MAY" here.

[2] What does "interactive" mean in an implementation?:

The issue is that this document is called: DSCP and other packet
markings for WebRTC QoS. Then this document define something that is not
immediately mappable onto what is being defined in the other WebRTC
specifications. That is why I am raising that there need to be more
clear coupling. If that coupling is to mostly happen in another
document, can we at least then have a proposal on the table for that
change to ensure that the result is understandable.

Well, this TSVWG draft is definitely not the right place for a discussion of
when a video flow is interactive or non-interactive - I hope we can agree
on that.

Beyond that, as Cullen (Jennings) is both an author of this document and
one of the chairs of the rtcweb WG, I'd suggest that he and/or the rtcweb
WG propose an appropriate location for discussion of when a video flow
is interactive or non-interactive.  This TSVWG draft would then have an
additional sentence added, e.g.,

        See [TBD] for further discussion of how to determine
        whether a video flow is interactive vs. non-interactive.

I believe that the added reference here ([TBD] above) would be normative.

Cullen?

Thanks, --David (as document  shepherd)