Re: Time to kill layer 2

2016-04-14 09:15:40

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> writes:

This morning I spent an hour debugging the network to print out two
class projects that were due. Some points:

1) My ability to debug the network is better than 99% of the population
2) The interaction of Bonjour, DHCP and auto power saving is unfortunate
3) Things should still work after I have been away for a week
4) If vendors want to be selling all that IoT gear, they have to solve
these issues.

5) I want someone to blame. Right now when the network doesn't work, I
don't know who is the cause. I want one point of contact. Whoever is
that point of contact will get most of my networking money.

One of the reasons that IP won against OSI was that it was simpler.
Applications ran on top of the IP layer with only TCP inbetween. Of
course these days we do have a Presentation layer, Web Services run on
HTTP. But unlike the OSI presentation layer, ours does not introduce
extra moving parts.

The funny thing about mentioning OSI here is that it would probably be
very easy indeed to triage your network issue if your hosts were running
ES-IS, and your routers IS-IS. You could plug into IS-IS and see
everything. :)

Thanks,
Chris.