Re: Last Call: <draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-12.txt> (Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs) to Best Current Practice

2016-06-06 18:34:25
draft-ietf-tls-tls1.3 is going to widow/orphan some registries and
obsolete RFC 5246.  What I’m hoping to do is not update the references
for these widowed/orphaned registries and include a Note in the IANA
registries that says something along the lines of “These registries are for
TLS 1.2, 1.1, and 1.0”.  Assuming the words in the
draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis allow me to do that I’ll be happy.

It absolutely should.  First, if the registries are not for TLS 1.3,
there's certainly no reason to change the references.  The issue we're
talking about isn't just that the reference document has become
obsolete, but that there is a more current reference now -- which
won't be the case for what you're talking about.  Second, anything
that makes sense to do with a reason behind it should always be
acceptable.  I'll make sure the final text makes that point clear.

Barry