RE: actions related to improving IETF meeting selections

2016-06-12 20:43:00
Hi, Nalini, Melinda & Ted,

Although there are meetings in various regions for IETF awareness, they are not
really IETF meetings. The secondary meetings in my mind are actually working
meetings first. That’s why Ted said it “would require a lot of regular IETFers
to sign on and get support for going”. I personally believe it is feasible
because the current three meetings per year is actually slowing down many WGs’
pace. It is one of the reasons that IETF’s standardization work is slow. Some
3GPP WGs could meet almost 10 times per year! Of course, not every WG need
extra meetings. The requirements from various WGs are different. But it is
never discussed! If you asked the WG chairs the question of how many f2f
meetings per year are ideal for their WGs, in my guess, over 1/4 WGs would like
to meet more than three times.  But WG chairs are lacking of logistics for f2f
interim meetings. It is also difficult to get contributors to travel for a
single WG interim meetings. But if there are 20 WGs interim meetings together,
it may be a different story. I don’t think we will lose the key contributors
for those active WGs in such meetings, although there may be less “steady”
audience. This may give the chance for both accelerating WG’s work and serving
diversity purposes. Also, participants may have more time to discuss new works
or more details, giving more relax on the total agenda. The scale of such
meetings could be much smaller, I guess, like 300 participants. It would give
more flexibility and agility, too.

Best regards,

Sheng