Re: [GROW] Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-blackholing-00.txt> (BLACKHOLE BGP Community for Blackholing) to Proposed Standard

2016-07-01 17:03:08
why the security warning relating to denial of service attacks was
removed.

what could possibly go wrong with a well-known transitive attribute
which causes an un-authenticated prefix's traffic to be dropped on the
floor?

Today I have 5 or six of them... and my managment system has a series of
substitutions for the provider-appropriate one.  So, what can go wrong
with a poorly understood and loosely coordinated transitive attributes
which cause unauthenticated prefixes traffic to be dropped on the floor?

and you are kinda peotected by the community not being well-known, i.e.
different for each upstream.  the attacker has to know the community for
each upstream and be able to not only inject the prefix but also tag it
with the correct community for each upstream.

it is the combination of well-known and transitive that is deadly.

randy