Re: How to get feedback on published RFCs [resending as plaintext]

2016-07-19 10:03:49
On 19/07/16 16:28, Christer Holmberg wrote:
Hi,

A couple of initial comments:

Q1:

In section3, the text says:

    "-  Providing feedback on correctness and pointing out errors.  This
       is a much easier process than submitting errata, and as such would
       likely yield a larger number of corrections."

I assume that, if something is to be fixed, an errata will eventually have to
be created? I.e. the annotation will not be a formal correction.

I fully agree. Annotations are not curated by anybody. To make a formal change, you still need to follow the Errata process.

Q2:

Keep in mind that some text in an RFC may not be valid anymore, if:

1)      It has already been changed in an errata; or
2)      It has been updated in another RFC ("this RFC updates section X of RFC
Y")

Now, anyone who is about to give comments should obviously make sure whether
the affected parts have been updated. But, assuming I want to comment on text
that exists in an errata, how does that work?

IMO we should ignore this issue for the initial experiment. Later on, we can think of ways to tie errata back into the original document (e.g. similar to "revision marks" in Word). Which would make it possible to annotate the latest version of the text. But that would be a much more extensive and complex change.

Thanks,
        Yaron

Regards,

Christer