Re: How to get feedback on published RFCs [resending as plaintext]

2016-07-27 12:50:07
Yaron Sheffer wrote:

Once an RFC is published, there is essentially no way for readers to
provide feedback: what works, what are the implementation pitfalls, how
does the document relate to other technologies or even to other RFCs.

We IETF insiders usually know what is the relevant working group, and
can take our feedback there. Non-insiders though don't have any contact
point, and so will most likely keep their feedback to themselves.

For a few years, the front pages of RFCs have been carrying a statement
like this on their front pages:

from RFC7901 (June 2016):

   Information about the current status of this document, any errata,
   and how to provide feedback on it may be obtained at
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7901.

from RFC5746 (Feb 2010):

   Information about the current status of this document, any errata,
   and how to provide feedback on it may be obtained at
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5746.

and the info on the RFC Editor website says

  Discuss this RFC: Send questions or comments to <....>@ietf.org

giving the IETF WG mailing list address (or rfc-ise(_at_)rfc-editor(_dot_)org)

-Martin