Re: bettering open source involvement

2016-07-28 05:52:08
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Dave Taht
<dave(_dot_)taht(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

At both ietf and BBF this past week a frequent topic of conversation
was how to get more open source involvement in standards orgs...

... and one counter-thrust of mine has always been to get more
standards org members involved in open source, because that dialog has
to go both ways.

I thought I would point at several useful upcoming conferences in the
hope that perhaps there would be some members of ietf/isoc "out there"
planning some outreach in this regard.

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ proposals closed I think

https://linux.conf.au/proposals/ CFP due aug 5

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/program-announced-embedded-linux-conference-130000509.html

http://netdevconf.org/1.2/

That is just the first 4 that came to mind, and they are respectively,
in america, australia, berlin, and japan. There are approximately 1
zillion other conferences in that world that an ietf/isoc/bbf/etc
member might find interesting, or have something of their org they'd
like to get in front of a wider audience.

Just my 2.0e-2...

I have direct experience with FOSDEM (https://fosdem.org/2017/) that is
held every year end of January/beginning of February in Bruxelles.
Personally, I like it, I find it very active (~5000 participants/year) and
refreshing (after a year buzz-wording).  Joking I say that it looks almost
like IETF's incubator... :-) (the density of geeks per square meter is
similar :-)

The call for contribution has been opened just one week ago.

The best list I know of, is here:

http://lwn.net/Calendar/

--
Dave Täht