Re: bettering open source involvement

2016-07-28 07:24:30
On 28 Jul 2016, at 8:56, Dave Taht wrote:

At both ietf and BBF this past week a frequent topic of conversation
was how to get more open source involvement in standards orgs...

... and one counter-thrust of mine has always been to get more
standards org members involved in open source, because that dialog has
to go both ways.

I thought I would point at several useful upcoming conferences in the
hope that perhaps there would be some members of ietf/isoc "out there"
planning some outreach in this regard.

There’s gazillions of conferences as you say. Being a BSD guy I could give you a list of those but that’s missing the point I think.

What you should do is do the reference implementations for at least 2 different (Open Source) Operating Systems before or rather along writing a document. That will (a) guarantee running code and (b) a lot of documents will be written better, more understandable, and cover the bits that actually matter and won’t be “theory” only which people who have to implement them after the facts go head->desk(). That brings me to (c) as you’ll have a valuable contribution to actually go to one of the conferences and present your work there and engage with that community (and, yes, that can be an overlapping effort, e.g., go and discuss while you are working on the prototype to see what field experts think about it; their feedback then will influence your implementation and the document and you are back at (a) and (b)).

Just half a ct from me

/bz