Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

2016-08-09 16:23:17
"Ted" == Ted Hardie <ted(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Ted>    Hi Barry, Do screen readers and other assistive technologies
    Ted> differentiate between lower case and upper case appropriately
    Ted> and consistently?  When I try a basic screen reader (the one
    Ted> that came with my Ubuntu distro), it doesn't seem to make a
    Ted> distinction, but this may be misconfiguration on my part (I
    Ted> don't use it in general).  regards, Ted

I have not found this to be an issue.  In general, I don't distinguish
between caps in running text, but all the screen readers I've used
(including even the one on Android) can distinguish caps if you ask them
too.

In the specific case of Orca, the Ubuntu screen reader you're probably
looking at, you have a couple of options.  You can go into the voice tab
on preferences and set up a different caps voice from the normal voice.
What I tend to do though is simply use  the spell word feature when I
think it's ambiguous; that will include caps in spelling.

In several years of participating in the IETF I've had relatively little
confusion reading RFCs whether keywords were intended to be all caps.
Sometimes I do have to check, but I've found that to be
sufficient--sufficiently so that I've had neither a desire to complain
about the ambiguity nor to turn on explicit caps notification all the
time on the screen readers that support it.

Others may have different experience.