Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

2016-08-09 21:15:58

In message <alpine.OSX.2.11.1608092140330.1678@ary.local>, "John R Levine"
writes:
RFC2671/RFC6891 has

     Set to zero by senders and ignored by receivers, unless modified
     in a subsequent specification.

which resulted in 2% of deployed nameservers just copying reserved
bits to the reply or 3% of nameservers not answering because a
reserved bit is set.

I suppose, but how many of the people who wrote the broken code would have
paid attention if it said YOU MUST SET THE BIT TO ZERO AND THEN IGNORE IT
YOU MORON.

We will never know.

"MUST be set to zero by senders and MUST be ignored by receivers,
unless modified in a subsequent specification." would have caught
those that scan for MUST, SHOULD and MAYs.

At the moment we have draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue-03 to try
and clean up the mess out there.  I'm waiting on Tim for promised
feedback before I publish -04.

Mark

Regards,
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org