Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-rfc2119-update-00.txt

2016-08-12 19:35:06
On 8/12/2016 5:20 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
    It's inefficient to repeat the phrase "X MUST be supported by any
    implementation that complies with this specification".

Perfect example. That passive construction is just as bad as "X is
REQUIRED".

These sorts of exchanges remind me of just how differently people view the concept of clarity in writing.

And that tends to prompt me to recall a rather interesting article in Datamation magazine, many years ago, back when I was first learning concepts of clear programming and the world was wresting with different views on how to achieve it, with Dijkstra's "GOTO Statement Considered Harmful" article holding particular sway.

In this midst of that, it took me an embarrassingly long time to comprehend:

   https://www.fortran.com/come_from.html

d/
--

  Dave Crocker