Re: English man spends 11 hours trying to make cup of tea with Wi-Fi kettle

2016-10-12 15:25:04

On 10/12/2016 08:51 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Right now we seem to have more industry IoT interest groups than ever.
But what we don't seem to have is a group whose brand is going to mean
'it will work, it is secure and there are no hidden vendor lockins'.

Arguably, (with Apple being the primary example and Chromebook backing
it up), one can only make it work, and be secure, in the presence of
EXPLICIT vendor lockin. And then only when said vendor doesn't get lazy
and take shortcuts.

In the implementation-of-standards world, MUST is optional, SHOULD is
ignored, and MAY is merely permissive of promiscuity.

Compliance needs sharp teeth, and the IETF doesn't even have rubber
dentures.

--
Dean