Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

2016-11-02 11:38:48
And yet it is still happening, despite there being a great deal of
discussion in the archives...   :/

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 12:36 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:
In article <678C2FBA-A661-4556-A300-5C08562B5F8A(_at_)iii(_dot_)ca> you write:
So if someone send a email with a bad signature to an IETF list from a domain
that has a reject
policy, and the IETF server forwards it to my email email provider, my email
provider rejects it. Now
the IETF email server counts that as a bounce. Too many bounces in a row and
the IETF server
unsubscribes me from the list.

This is a well known DMARC failure mode that has been discussed at
great length on this very list.  Please see the archives.

What's the right advice on how the IETF server should be run?

This is a topic that has been discussed at great length on this very
list.  Please see the archives.  ALso look for ARC which is a DMARC
band-aid in development that's supposed to mitigate DMARC damage.

If Jana sends the email directly to me, it works. This seems to point at the
IETF server is doing
something that breaks signature in Jana email.

This is a well known DMARC failure mode that has been discussed at
great length on this very list.  Please see the archives.

R's,
John