Re: IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

2016-11-02 12:28:44
There's a pretty clear ops problem here that could be solved by simply
detecting addresses with DMARC and rewriting the From: headers on
those messages.   This would eliminate all problems immediately.
Then there are protocol solutions that might be adopted over time, but
will continue to present problems in the near term.   I would think
that the pragmatic thing to do would be to do the immediate fix, and
then later on try to phase in the protocol fix.   Ideally, the
protocol fix would be detectable.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM, MH Michael Hammer (5304)
<MHammer(_at_)ag(_dot_)com> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Levine
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:56 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

In article <CAPt1N1k1wg9mbN-guuarFP0NvX7v-suOY-bP=TDEOCVhK-
epmg(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com> you write:
And yet it is still happening, despite there being a great deal of
discussion in the archives...   :/

Yes, because at this point, all of the solutions are worse than the problem.
See this page for a roundup of DMARC mitigations:

http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Mitigating_DMARC_damage_to_third_party_ma
il

The work on ARC is coming along fairly fast.  There was a second
compatibility
event a couple of weeks ago among various implementations, and people
tell me there should be usable libraries around the end of the year.  Once
there's an ARC addon for Mailman and we use that, the DMARC damage
should drop considerably, without us having to change the way we use our
lists.

It's not clear to me that this is true John. DMARC Validators will need to
take ARC into consideration and we don't know what adoption will look like
other than a handful of players at this point.

Mike