Re: Please welcome the facilitators at ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

2016-11-09 16:53:53
On 10/11/2016 08:24, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 11/9/16 10:16 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
Could you please send some feedback about whether it is useful to have
Facilitators for ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?

The experiment appears to have had minimal impact.  It's perhaps
most helpful to consider the role of the facilitators during the
lengthy and occasionally acrimonious Singapore discussion, where
facilitation was unhelpful.

Which I don't think is intended as criticism of the facilitators, but
rather of ... human nature?

I would say that the notion of a truly opinion-neutral facilitator will
not work in most cases, especially during a debate on a divisive topic.
People who are being non-constructive, repetitious or off topic aren't
likely to take much notice of neutral messages or to calm down as a
result. I think it's only more Chair-like interventions (summarise opinions
and suggest a possible way forward) that will work in such cases.

The facilitator approach may work in less contentious cases (such as the
IPv10 thing that floated past a few days ago). But for those cases, back-channel
communication is often better.

   Brian