Re: Please welcome the facilitators at ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

On 10/11/2016 08:24, Melinda Shore wrote:
The experiment appears to have had minimal impact.  It's perhaps
most helpful to consider the role of the facilitators during the
lengthy and occasionally acrimonious Singapore discussion, where
facilitation was unhelpful.
Which I don't think is intended as criticism of the facilitators, but
rather of ... human nature?

Yes, exactly, and apologies if I implied otherwise.

I think it's only more Chair-like interventions (summarise opinions
and suggest a possible way forward) that will work in such cases.

The facilitators did post summaries.  I don't think that was
actually helpful, divorced as it was from some sort of actual
facilitation/moderation process.  It looked like a lot of work
for the facilitators (for which, btw, a belated "thank you") and
for that level of effort I think we'd hope for something that
moved the discussion forward a bit more actively.

Melinda